social spark Aisling Beatha: My Broken Car headlight

Comments

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Friday, April 20, 2007

My Broken Car headlight

We have some new news on my broken car headlight.
Yes it's all working fine now because hubby got a replacement glass and fitted it for me.

I still wasn't happy with an explanation though. Knew it wasn't an air gun or something like that, because of the way it smashed and absolutely no sign of a bullet, wasn't happy with the "stone flicked up by a car on the road" explanation either because of where the car is parked behind bushes.

And then, TONIGHT, just 20 feet away, in that row of bushes we find a dead bird of prey. I've looked it up online and I'm pretty sure it's a Kestrel. We're just coming out of breeding season into laying season, and during breeding season they are particularly territorial, like all birds. I know that other species sometimes attack their own reflections in windows and other glass objects and I wonder if this kestrel, caught sight of his reflection in my headlight glass (parked near a lampost so there would have been some light even at night) and went for it. A bird of that size going full throttle for an enemy could indeed smash a headlight.

I know we don't live in a rural area, but I have seen Kestrels before locally, hopping around by the side of a road once. And we've seen other birds of prey on a regular basis.

Another explanation is that someone had seen it and was taking pot shots at it with a gun and got my headlight instead.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...