social spark Aisling Beatha: Do you believe in Co-Incidences? - BLOGATHON 2007 Post 18

Comments

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Do you believe in Co-Incidences? - BLOGATHON 2007 Post 18

This is LONG! Wrote it Spring a few years ao, just a week or so before we went on vacation.

Do you believe in co-incidences?
I don't.
Do you believe that when God repeats Himself or speaks repeatedly on the same subject, we should listen attentively?
I do!
This is going to be VERY long, because I'm going to quote some quite long passages. Don't let that put you off; they are passages that most of you will know. I'm just quoting them so that you can see their relationship to each other.
Let me walk you through the last 2 hours of my life. I had fallen behind on a bible study I am doing with the ladies over at Women at Home, Believing God by Beth Moore. I had also fallen behind on a 21 day reading and prayer focus put out by Chuck Pierce, over the Elijah List.
So tonight I didn't join my hubby and my boys down at scouts, I stayed home to play catch up.
First I did day 3's homework from week 5 of Believing God. It talks about Moses' mention in the Hebrews 11 hall of faith. It talks about the first Passover and how much faith it would have taken for Moses to step out and do what god was asking. It talks about how that was looking forward to the blood Jesus would shed on our behalf as the ultimate Lamb of God.

Exodus 12
The Passover

1 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron in Egypt,
2 This month is to be for you the first month, the first month of your year.
3 Tell the whole community of Israel that on the tenth day of this month each man is to take a lamb for his family, one for each household.
4 If any household is too small for a whole lamb, they must share one with their nearest neighbour, having taken into account the number of people there are. You are to determine the amount of lamb needed in accordance with what each person will eat.
5 The animals you choose must be year-old males without defect, and you may take them from the sheep or the goats.
6 Take care of them until the fourteenth day of the month, when all the people of the community of Israel must slaughter them at twilight.
7 Then they are to take some of the blood and put it on the sides and tops of the door-frames of the houses where they eat the lambs.
8 That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire, along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast.
9 Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire— head, legs and inner parts.
10 Do not leave any of it till morning; if some is left till morning, you must burn it.
11 This is how you are to eat it: with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand. Eat it in haste; it is the LORD's Passover.
12 On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn— both men and animals— and I will bring judgement on all the gods of Egypt. I am the LORD.
13 The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.
14 This is a day you are to commemorate; for the generations to come you shall celebrate it as a festival to the LORD— a lasting ordinance.
15 For seven days you are to eat bread made without yeast. On the first day remove the yeast from your houses, for whoever eats anything with yeast in it from the first day until the seventh must be cut off from Israel.
16 On the first day hold a sacred assembly, and another one on the seventh day. Do no work at all on these days, except to prepare food for everyone to eat— that is all you may do.
17 Celebrate the Feast of Unleavened Bread, because it was on this very day that I brought your divisions out of Egypt. Celebrate this day as a lasting ordinance for the generations to come.
18 In the first month you are to eat bread made without yeast, from the evening of the fourteenth day until the evening of the twenty-first day.
19 For seven days no yeast is to be found in your houses. And whoever eats anything with yeast in it must be cut off from the community of Israel, whether he is an alien or native-born.
20 Eat nothing made with yeast. Wherever you live, you must eat unleavened bread.
21 Then Moses summoned all the elders of Israel and said to them, Go at once and select the animals for your families and slaughter the Passover lamb.
22 Take a bunch of hyssop, dip it into the blood in the basin and put some of the blood on the top and on both sides of the door-frame. Not one of you shall go out of the door of his house until morning.
23 When the LORD goes through the land to strike down the Egyptians, he will see the blood on the top and sides of the door-frame and will pass over that doorway, and he will not permit the destroyer to enter your houses and strike you down.
24 Obey these instructions as a lasting ordinance for you and your descendants.
25 When you enter the land that the LORD will give you as he promised, observe this ceremony.
26 And when your children ask you, 'What does this ceremony mean to you?'
27 then tell them, 'It is the Passover sacrifice to the LORD, who passed over the houses of the Israelites in Egypt and spared our homes when he struck down the Egyptians.' Then the people bowed down and worshipped.
28 The Israelites did just what the LORD commanded Moses and Aaron.
29 At midnight the LORD struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of all the livestock as well.
30 Pharaoh and all his officials and all the Egyptians got up during the night, and there was loud wailing in Egypt, for there was not a house without someone dead.

The Exodus
31 During the night Pharaoh summoned Moses and Aaron and said, Up! Leave my people, you and the Israelites! Go, worship the LORD as you have requested.
32 Take your flocks and herds, as you have said, and go. And also bless me.
33 The Egyptians urged the people to hurry and leave the country. For otherwise, they said, we will all die!
34 So the people took their dough before the yeast was added, and carried it on their shoulders in kneading troughs wrapped in clothing.
35 The Israelites did as Moses instructed and asked the Egyptians for articles of silver and gold and for clothing.
36 The LORD had made the Egyptians favourably disposed towards the people, and they gave them what they asked for; so they plundered the Egyptians.

Then I went to the 21 day focus. Today I needed to do day 20. The first reading was Joshua 3

Joshua 3

Crossing the Jordan
1 Early in the morning Joshua and all the Israelites set out from Shittim and went to the Jordan, where they camped before crossing over.
2 After three days the officers went throughout the camp,
3 giving orders to the people: When you see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, and the priests, who are Levites, carrying it, you are to move out from your positions and follow it.
4 Then you will know which way to go, since you have never been this way before. But keep a distance of about a thousand yards between you and the ark; do not go near it.
5 Joshua told the people, Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you.
6 Joshua said to the priests, Take up the ark of the covenant and pass on ahead of the people. So they took it up and went ahead of them.
7 And the LORD said to Joshua, Today I will begin to exalt you in the eyes of all Israel, so that they may know that I am with you as I was with Moses.
8 Tell the priests who carry the ark of the covenant: 'When you reach the edge of the Jordan's waters, go and stand in the river.'
9 Joshua said to the Israelites, Come here and listen to the words of the LORD your God.
10 This is how you will know that the living God is among you and that he will certainly drive out before you the Canaanites, Hittites, Hivites, Perizzites, Girgashites, Amorites and Jebusites.
11 See, the ark of the covenant of the Lord of all the earth will go into the Jordan ahead of you.
12 Now then, choose twelve men from the tribes of Israel, one from each tribe.
13 And as soon as the priests who carry the ark of the LORD— the Lord of all the earth— set foot in the Jordan, its waters flowing downstream will be cut off and stand up in a heap.
14 So when the people broke camp to cross the Jordan, the priests carrying the ark of the covenant went ahead of them.
15 Now the Jordan is in flood all during harvest. Yet as soon as the priests who carried the ark reached the Jordan and their feet touched the water's edge,
16 the water from upstream stopped flowing. It piled up in a heap a great distance away, at a town called Adam in the vicinity of Zarethan, while the water flowing down to the Sea of the Arabah (the Salt Sea) was completely cut off. So the people crossed over opposite Jericho.
17 The priests who carried the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry ground in the middle of the Jordan, while all Israel passed by until the whole nation had completed the crossing on dry ground.

The instructions for prayer today were two fold. Firstly "Do not fear crossing over." Secondly "Ask the Lord to Sanctify you."
WOH! Do not fear Crossing over into your promised Land? What is there to fear for me? I was afraid because I still do not know what my promised land looks like, what it is that God has for me, I was afraid of the unknown. I was afraid that I would not hear God and that I would be 'being still', 'waiting' for a long time. I was afraid that I would not hear God and that I would step out without hearing Him, because I wanted to DO. I was afraid of what people might think, both if I waited much longer and when I cross over into the promised land. I was afraid, and this is one that just echoes Beth Moore from the week 5 video... I was afraid that I WOULD FAIL GOD, that I would not be ENOUGH.
I put my hand to my chest and it was as if I held all that fear in my hand, in a tightly clenched fist. I pictured myself before the cross, looked up into Jesus' face and there was still something stopping me letting go, stopping me laying this fear down. Then I remembered that it says in the word that god has not given us a spirit of fear, so I bound the spirits and demons of fear that have been harassing me, I commanded them to leave and go where Jesus told them to go and lay that bundle of fear down at the foot of the cross, backed away quickly, turned and walked away.
Does that mean those fears will never surface again? I doubt it. But I know who is on the winning side; I know I have the authority.
Then, I asked the Lord to Sanctify me, I looked up sanctify in the KJV with strongs numbers. Consecrate, Set apart, Prepare, Dedicate, Be holy. Tall order? NO! Ask GOD to sanctify YOU. HE DOES IT! NOT US. We don't have to work anything up, God does it! And at that moment I saw in my spirit a waterfall, pouring down, right there in the middle of my kitchen. And I was cleansed and I was washed, and I stepped forward into the father's embrace.
I still had time left so I moved on to Day 4's homework for Believing God.
Day 4 talks about Joshua. About how the walls of Jericho fell BY FAITH.

Joshua 6

1 Now Jericho was tightly shut up because of the Israelites. No-one went out and no-one came in.
2 Then the LORD said to Joshua, See, I have delivered Jericho into your hands, along with its king and its fighting men.
3 March around the city once with all the armed men. Do this for six days.
4 Make seven priests carry trumpets of rams' horns in front of the ark. On the seventh day, march around the city seven times, with the priests blowing the trumpets.
5 When you hear them sound a long blast on the trumpets, make all the people give a loud shout; then the wall of the city will collapse and the people will go up, every man straight in.
6 So Joshua son of Nun called the priests and said to them, Take up the ark of the covenant of the LORD and make seven priests carry trumpets in front of it.
7 And he ordered the people, Advance! March around the city, with the armed guard going ahead of the ark of the LORD.
8 When Joshua had spoken to the people, the seven priests carrying the seven trumpets before the LORD went forward, blowing their trumpets, and the ark of the LORD's covenant followed them.
9 The armed guard marched ahead of the priests who blew the trumpets, and the rear guard followed the ark. All this time the trumpets were sounding.
10 But Joshua had commanded the people, Do not give a war cry, do not raise your voices, do not say a word until the day I tell you to shout. Then shout!
11 So he had the ark of the LORD carried around the city, circling it once. Then the people returned to camp and spent the night there.
12 Joshua got up early the next morning and the priests took up the ark of the LORD.
13 The seven priests carrying the seven trumpets went forward, marching before the ark of the LORD and blowing the trumpets. The armed men went ahead of them and the rear guard followed the ark of the LORD, while the trumpets kept sounding.
14 So on the second day they marched around the city once and returned to the camp. They did this for six days.
15 On the seventh day, they got up at daybreak and marched around the city seven times in the same manner, except that on that day they circled the city seven times.
16 The seventh time around, when the priests sounded the trumpet blast, Joshua commanded the people, Shout! For the LORD has given you the city!
17 The city and all that is in it are to be devoted to the LORD. Only Rahab the prostitute and all who are with her in her house shall be spared, because she hid the spies we sent.
18 But keep away from the devoted things, so that you will not bring about your own destruction by taking any of them. Otherwise you will make the camp of Israel liable to destruction and bring trouble on it.
19 All the silver and gold and the articles of bronze and iron are sacred to the LORD and must go into his treasury.
20 When the trumpets sounded, the people shouted, and at the sound of the trumpet, when the people gave a loud shout, the wall collapsed; so every man charged straight in, and they took the city.

I like to read the bible out loud when I can. It takes longer, but it is worth it.
I got to verse 4, part way through verse 5 and I stopped.
OH LORD! How could I have forgotten? How could I have lost something like that?
THIS PLACE! THIS PLACE that I wrote about in my last blog, this place that I am living, THIS IS MY JERICHO! This estate is circular (well, more or less), the point is it has a perimeter road, a 'wall' if you like, a defence. And our house stands right on the perimeter, looking out, a house in the wall (remember rahab's house was in the wall). And I remembered someone speaking over our house that it would be a gate house in a walled city that it would be a WAY IN.
OH LORD forgive me, how could I have forgotten? THIS IS MY JERICHO.
Then I read on, worked my way (in awe) through Beth Moore's notes on this and other passages. Overwhelmed by God's goodness. Here we are, we've gone from the first Passover and the escape from Egypt, through the Jordan at the other end of their journey 40 years later, and finally into Jericho! And you know, it didn't make sense to Joshua? He was a master warrior, a MIGHTY MAN, he KNEW how to fight a battle to win. This walking business, this shouting, it didn't make sense. But you see, Joshua was a worshipper as well as a warrior and he knew, from past experience that it was God who fought for them, that it was God who won the battles, and he knew that God's strategies were the best.
This battle will not be won with muscle, Mighty Warrior, this battle will be won by faith!
Do you hear that? THIS battle, THIS Jericho, YOUR JERICHO, whatever that is, will not depend on strength of numbers, will not depend on our ideas, our plans, our strategies, it will depend on our ability to believe what God is telling us to do even if it seems like the worst idea in the world. And we can believe Him in those circumstances because he has shown us before. And because, PRAISE GOD....
Glory to His name, victory is NOT about what we deserve, it's about about WHO we follow!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...