social spark Aisling Beatha: CPAP update

Comments

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Monday, February 02, 2009

CPAP update

Well, I have had my CPAP machine for over a week now. I do start every night with it, but am still having problems.
People have been telling me it could take a month or more to get used to it so I am not worried at the moment, but I am not enjoying the process. I'm hanging in there because I know it will get better.

A lot of people suffer with a dry nose, NOT ME, I get a dry mouth and throat.
And if you wake up in the night with your mask leaking and your mouth so darned dry your lips are stuck to your gums, it's quite a palava to get a drink, the mask refitted and back off to sleep. I do try and most nights I manage at least 2 hours, with the best nights going up to 3 and a half hours. But I've had two really bad nights, where I did not even get to 2 hours with the mask on. One of those was last night. The settling down went ok, with the mask fitting nicely, but once I woke up it was jsut a nightmare and I could not get it to fit quite right after that, grrhhhh! So today I am not feeling good!

I'm also getting a headache a lot of the time. Not a really bad one, just enough to be annoying.

I KNOW that this will get better! I know that God has a better plan this, I KNOW that He wants to actually bring full healing so that I don't need this any more.
But in the meantime I have to live with this, and right now it's not fun.

3 comments:

  1. I can't begin to imagine how frustrated you must be to want to sleep so badly and to struggle so! I talked to a man yesterday who has had his cpap for over 5 weeks and Sat night made 4 hours consistent sleep and was ECSTATIC. GOODNESS!
    Keep plugging away Zoe! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((((ZOE))))) I am so sorry you are struggling with this. :( Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How this this last week go, Zoe? Don't give up, I know from experience how frustrating it is right now. But one of these nights, its going to click in, and you will sleep like a baby, all night long. And soon after that, you will reach a point where you CAN'T sleep without your CPAP, which means you are getting what you need.

    Do you sleep on your side or your back? Have you tried moving the machine to a different spot (for instance, I have mine on the night stand next to our bed, which is level with me. But when we first started, we have a bookcase headboard, and the machine was above me. Took a couple weeks to figure out that wasn't the place for it to be. I'm trying to think of all the different things I did to get adjusted.

    As I said before -- hang in there, my friend. If you are have 130 apnea episodes a night, you NEED for this to work for you (and it will. I promise!) (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...