social spark Aisling Beatha: BEFORE the sewing machine finally DIED

Comments

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Monday, April 11, 2011

BEFORE the sewing machine finally DIED


Photobucket My sewing machine is dead! Completely seized up, and beyond repair. I guess I should have looked after it better, BUT it has lasted 15 years, been used well, so it's done well!

Before that happened, I finished using up the fabric that was leftover from making those craft room curtains.  As you may remember, I had to match the pattern on the fabric because they were wide curtains, so had lots of fabric left.  I decided to make some shopping bags (totes).  They are smaller then the ones I usually make, but the size was dictated by the size of the pieces of fabric I had and a desire to use as much of it as possible.


I made them using french seams as I did not want to get my overlocker (serger) out and fight with it.  But that meant huge piles of fabric layers at the seams, so for future bags, I am going back to using the overlocker, and have pulled it out, and actually had far less fighting with it than I expected, it went really well.  But that's another project that I cannot now finish because of the dead sewing machine.  Hmmm, SOON, hopefully, SOON there will be a replacement!

So, in the meantime, here's another photo of the bags I did complete!


You can check out the blogs that I link my crafty posts up to, over in the sidebar!  If I link to yours and have missed your banner from that list, please let me know and I will make sure to add it.

I am selling these bags to raise money for a mission trip to Romania, to teach some craft projects to a gypsy community, so they can begin to support themselves by selling them at their local markets.  I made 4 of these, 1 is already promised to a friend, and the other 3 are down at church to see if anyone there would like one!

Hopefully, if I get my replacement machine soon, I will be able to get more bags done, using up other fabrics that have been in my stash for years, or are being re purposed from other projects.  When I have some more done I might set up an Etsy shop, hmmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry your sewing machine died...especially when you were doing such a nice project. Hope you sell all of your bags quickly!

    Would love for you to stop by and share your bag at the Tuesday To Do Party!
    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/04/tuesday-to-do-5-and-4-list-makers.html

    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there- found you through the Thrifty Thursday hop and am a new follower. I'm so sorry about your machine! You are so talented- you need a new one asap! I hope you have time to follow my life in South Africa by http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...