social spark Aisling Beatha: First Canvas

Comments

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

First Canvas

Pin It
After a childhood and teen years believing I was useless at Art, I finally got into art journalling a couple of years ago.  But everything I have done art wise since has been in my journal, or on paper, I had not dared to commit anything to canvas.  Last week that changed.  I saw some small chunky canvases in Home Bargains (a budget store), for just 99p.  So I picked one up.  I think it is either 6 or 8 inches square on a deep frame.



I started with collaging some scrapboook papers using gel medium.  I did some stamping, stencilling and used paint on bubble wrap to create more texture.  Then I looked for some shapes, the way Mystele does in her videos.  I sketched the outline of the head and the clothes then worked on the background.  I tried to do a crackle paint finish on the bottom, but that didn't work and I got bubble paint instead.  Still, I like the extra texture it gives.

Then I grabbed some paints and pencils and worked on the face.  It's certainly not the best face I've ever done, but overall I like it.

Finally, I painted the sides of the chunky canvas and ran that colour along the edges of the front with my finger.

Take a closer look:






Overall I am pleased with her.  I am not sure however if it needs something more.  Maybe a 3d embellishment? Maybe some words.  It's interesting that for someone whose primary art is writing, I find it difficult to combine words with my drawn and painted art.

Any thoughts?


You can find the sites that I link up to over in my sidebar.  Check a few of them out and come back soon to see what else I am doing.

8 comments:

  1. It's so nice and I love her eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe I think she's absolutely FABULOUS! I wouldn't add a thing and here's why (a minimalist opinion) you have a variety of textures, colors and patterns and contrasts. Right now they are pleasing without being overwhelming. To me, adding more makes her busy. It crowds out the ability to appreciate the layers you already have.
    Now there are plenty of people who would disagree with me, so feel free to do what most pleases YOU. But you asked, and that's my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's perfect just the way she is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all!
    Now I have to decide what to do with her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the mixed media, and the eyes are stunning. Thanks for sharing at shine on fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your art is definitely not useless! You have a talent! Your painting is beautiful and intriguing. The mixed- media gives it a lot of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:56 am

    Les couleurs sont magnifiques

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's just lovely. It's great as is, but when you mentioned that you thought it was missing something what came to my mind was a nice crocheted collar, that is because I have crocheting on the brain and well, it seems like that would be a good place in the painting to add something. Of course you could do it with some lace or scraps of doilys......all the best and thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday. Of course if you don't like my collar suggestion, how about a string of pearls or a necklace?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...