social spark Aisling Beatha: Bible Story Props - Money Bags


Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bible Story Props - Money Bags

Following on from the last post about making coins for the story of the lost coin, we had to make money bags because the following week we did the story of the prodigal son and needed money bags for when the father gives him his share of the money.

Pin It

These were really simple to make and only need a few supplies.  First I needed to make a template for painting on the pound signs.

I printed out a large pound sign on the computer and transferred that to a piece of chipboard by placing the paper over the chipboard and using an embossing tool to press through the paper into the chipboard.  Because the chipboard is slightly soft this worked well, and I could easily see the marks and was able to go over it in pencil.

I cut the pounds sign out with a craft knife

Then I laid the template onto the fabric I had chosen, to get an idea of how big I wanted to the bags to be.  The ruler and binder clip mark the rough size I wanted.

So I cut 2 pieces of fabric (I was making 2 bags) the width that the black binder clip marks but twice the length that the ruler marks.

Next I used a stencil brush and black acrylic paint to mark pound signs at both ends of each piece of fabric, making sure that they would be the right way up at each end.

Acrylic paint goes through fabric and will mark the table underneath.  So, if you don't have a silicone mat as I do, make sure to put something down to protect your surface.  But as you can see, there wasn't an awful lot of paint that came through.

Next I sewed larger hems at both ends of each piece of fabric to make channels to hold the cord that would draw the tops of the bags together.  As you can see, I zigzaged the edge of the fabric first then turned it to the wrong side and just sewed a straight line across the fabric.  Nice and simple.

Next I folded the fabric in half with the right sides facing and the two seams already sewn meeting at the top.
I sewed down each side, but only from beneath the channel already sewn to the bottom of the bag.  This is to leave the channel usable.

I turned them back the right way out and pushed the corners out just as well as I could with my fingers.

Lastly I threaded cord through the channel at the top of the bag and they were ready to go.  I have a window blind in the kitchen that the cords are far too long on, even when the blind is at full length.  So, I re knotted that cord at a shorter length and cut it off.  Since I had used fabric from my stash and paint I already had, these money bags cost us nothing.

To use them, I wanted them to look nice and full, so I rolled other pieces of fabric from my stash to the right size and stuffed them into the bags.

And there you have it, two money bags for the story of the prodigal son in less than an hour (not including paint drying time).

Again, another great prop for our bible story assemblies in our local school that were easily visible from the back of the hall.

You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...