social spark Aisling Beatha: LIVE BELOW THE LINE - Day 2

Comments

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

LIVE BELOW THE LINE - Day 2

If you don't know what Below the Line is all about check out my post from yesterday.

yesterday I told you that I had chosen to raise funds for the Salvation Army international Development Fund.  So today I will share a little bit about that organisation.



Pin It

The Salvation Army is a worldwide Christian church and charity. We put our beliefs into practice through a programme of practical action, serving our communities, supporting those in need and fighting for social justice. The Salvation Army International Development (UK) works to resource, empower and support developing communities to defeat poverty and injustice and enable them to build a better life and future. By Living Below the Line with us you could help a trafficked child to be a child again, or provide someone with clean water for life. You could give a widow the chance to set up her own business and support her family, or help a small farmer grow enough food to stop them going hungry.

On to today's menu and costings:
Today's Menu

Breakfast - Golden balls cereal.
We bought this a few weeks ago on a 3 boxes of cereal for £3 offer, so it actually works for this week.
It's OK although not all that filling, but at least I'm getting a bit of calcium from the milk.


Lunch - Beans on toast. 
1/2 a tin of budget range baked beans on 2 slices of budget range bread.


Dinner - Lentil Shepherd's Pie
I used tinned potatoes to keep the cost down and chopped them up for the topping, hoping that they would crisp up in the oven.  Hmmm, that didn't work.  Otherwise it was an OK meal and one I would happily eat again.


Snack - Rice Pudding with Lemon Curd



I was suffering with a headache this morning and afternoon (presumably caffeine withdrawal) and finally gave in and took painkillers.  If I was doing this for real that is a luxury I wouldn't have!  Otherwise it hasn't been a bad day.  I got busy in the craft room late morning and managed to distract myself from even thinking about lunch until 2:30pm, which then left me with less of a gap until dinner.  Dinner was good, I had the rice pudding for dessert and still have 8 pence left.

Hubby enjoyed tonight's dinner and we both agreed that with an alteration to proper mash, either normal potatoes or sweet potatoes, we would make this part of our regular diet.

Costings

BREAKFAST -
30g Golden Balls cereal at £1 for 375g = 8p
125ml Semi Skimmed milk at 44p per litre = 5.5p
Total for breakfast = 13.5p

LUNCH -
2 slices budget brand bread at 3.6p per slice = 7.2p
1/2 tin budget brand baked beans at 24p per tin = 12p
Total for lunch = 19.2p

DINNER -
(I am making the main meals for my hubby too but the figures here are for my portion only)
1/4 tin tomatoes at 31p per tin = 7.75p
1/2 tsp salt at 38p per kilo = 1p
1/2 tsp Garam Masala at £1 for 100g = 2.5p
1/2 tin Budget brand potatoes for the topping = 7p
100g budget brand frozen Mixed Vegetables at £1 per 1.3KG = 7.69p
1/2 tsp oil at 3p per tsp = 1.5p
3/8 onion (using the 3/4 of an onion left from yesterday for 2 of us) at 17p each = 6.37p
75g dry weight Brown Lentils (from a big pack we already have) at £2.99 for 2kg = 11.21p
1/2 chicken stock cube (1/2 of it for cooking the lentils, the other 1/2 for in the sauce) at 10p per cube = 5p
Total for Dinner = 50.02p

SNACK - 
1/2 tin Value Rice Pudding at 15p per tin = 7.5p
 25g Lemon Curd at 5.4p per 100g = 1.35p
Total for snack = 8.85p

Grand total for the day = 91.57p
Or 1 pence more than yesterday, making the total for the two days so far just over £1.82

If you would like to you can sponsor me, or think about joining in at a later date.  Although most people participate in Live below The Line on the official dates, you can participate at a later date if you need to.


You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...