social spark Aisling Beatha: Hand Made Art Journal from the Soul Food Class 2014

Comments

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Hand Made Art Journal from the Soul Food Class 2014

Summer Reading Art Journal

Pin It

Remember Soul Food?  Yeah, I fell off the wagon a bit with that one.  Various reasons, none of them important now.  I tidied up in the studio last week because I wanted to get some stuff done and one of those things was to use the journal that I made right at the beginning of Soul Food.  I realised that I had not shown you the making of the journal and so here we are:

It was a Gracie Howes class and I have to say I love all her work, so I was excited to get started.  First we prepped a large sheet of heavyweight watercolour paper.

Soul Food Lesson 4 - Grace Howes

Soul Food Lesson 4 - Grace Howes

Soul Food Lesson 4 - Grace Howes

Then there were layers of paint over the top of all that and finally I cut it in a particular way that would make pockets and flaps later on.  I won't give you all the details because this was a paid for class and that would not be fair.  Then I cut the pages.  In order to use a sheet of paper I already had for the cover I had to make the pages a slightly different size to usual.  They are almost as tall as a sheet of A4, but not as wide.  I alternated in each signature with a sheet of watercolour paper, a sheet of artist paper then another sheet of watercolour paper.  I made 5 signatures and bound them with a long stitch but through a central grommet, which you may have seen on a previous post about soul food.

Soul Food Lesson 4 - Grace Howes

You can see the finished cover at the top of this post.
Inside the front cover there is a flap and if you swing that out, you get this, with a similar pocket on the inside of the back cover:

Soul Food Lesson 4 - Grace Howes

As I said I'm going to finally be using it over the summer (or what is left of it anyway).  What would you use it for if you had a journal like this?



You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...