social spark Aisling Beatha: Bible Story Props - Stone Wall

Comments

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Bible Story Props - Stone Wall

Bible Story Props: Stone Wall

Pin It

I don't quite have step by step photos for this one but I'll do my best to explain.

The first thing you need is a large cardboard box, a strong one too because if you're going to be folding it up, pulling it back out etc over and over again it's going to take a bit of battering.  This one was still in our loft from when someone had an Apple iMac.  Take your box apart, this one was 2 pieces joined at opposite diagonal corners, so we had 2 large pieces. Next turn your box over so that you can paint on the back, the bottom of the box, will fold under in use and not be seen, so that does not need painting. We are just painting the sides and the top of the box.

In use we will be able to either fold the top back for a shorter wall or use tie wraps to stand those up to make a taller wall.  In the picture below you can see what I mean, the top of the box is standing up on the finished piece behind the one being worked on.

Bible Story Props: Stone Wall


The first thing to do is mark out your stones with a pencil or pen.  I did this fairly roughly, glancing at photos of stone walls to give me some idea of shapes.  I wanted this to look as traditional as possible, so there are large stones and smaller ones to fill in the gaps.

You need 3 shades of paint.  I used sample pots of decorating paint rather than fancy art paints and we used about 1 1/2 small sample pots of the lighter colour but less than 1 each of the 2 others.  You need a light colour for the main part of the stones, a dark colour for the gaps in between and something about half way between the two for the shading.

Fill your stones in with your lightest colour, which for us was an off white in a slightly stone looking colour.

The next part can be done in one of two ways.  You need to shade the stones to make them look like stones.  You can either do this in a dry brush method by letting all the lightest colour dry first and then using just a little paint at a time of your medium colour, keeping the brush as dry as possible to do your shading.  That is what happened with the picture above.  Whereas in the picture below I worked the shading as I went along, wet into wet.  I have to say that looking at them now I couldn't tell you which was which, so I would suggest going with whichever method suits you.

Bible Story Props: Stone Wall


Figure out before you begin shading, which direction the light is going to be coming from and then work your shading to be darkest at the opposite side of each stone from that light.  With some of the angled stones that can be a bit tricky, but honestly it's NOT that important, this is a stage prop that people are going to see from at least a little distance, no one is going to notice slight mistakes.

Bible Story Props: Stone Wall


Finally, fill in the gaps with the darkest colour of paint.  This also gives you an opportunity to tidy up any of the edges where you may have slipped and got paint into the gaps or not been as neat as you wanted to.  I used an artists brush at this point with quite a fine tip.

Bible Story Props: Stone Wall


Unfortunately I don't have any photos of it set up because there is not room at home to set it up and get far enough back to get a good shot of it, but the first time we use it, I will try and remember to take a photo and add it to this post.

The two pieces are attached to each other using velcro and as long as you angle the wall in a zigzag, it can free stand by tucking those non painted bottom pieces under if you put something small but heavy in front of each end to stop it falling forward.  If you need it to be a straight wall, you will have to find a way of supporting it or lean it against a wall.  If you want the taller wall, you need to make holes in each corner of the flaps, and use tie wraps through them.  With the wall angled as just mentioned, the flaps should stay upright.

You can also connect it back round into a square when doing stories involving a well or a chimney, etc.


You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...