social spark Aisling Beatha: Book Review - By Light of Hidden Candles

Comments

Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay, however short, and find something that interests and blesses you.

The tabs just below will take you to posts of particular topics. So if you are looking for my posts on food, fitness or creativity, you will find them there. You will also find my posts on thankfulness or other more contemplative posts, as well as a set of posts with traditional blessings from a number of different cultures.

You can find posts with labels not included in that list via the labels list over in the sidebar.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Book Review - By Light of Hidden Candles

 Description


My Review: Last time I read a book with shifting perspective I found it difficult to follow and did not finish it.  THIS time was very different and I really enjoyed the shift as each chapter rolled over to the next.
"By Light of Hidden Candles" by Daniella Levy shifts perspective between two characters in the present day written in the first person and a group of characters in the past written in narrative.  Alma and Manuel are the two main characters in the current era and I found myself rooting for them to find a united future, through all the difficulties they faced.  All characters are well written, taking into account the internal struggles each would have been facing.
Having traced my own family history a fair way (thanks to relatives who did a lot of the work if I'm honest), I have a suspicion that one particular family left their home nation due to religious persecution, so reading the chapters set in the past was fascinating as I learned details about the era of the Spanish inquisition that I had no idea about before reading this book. 

I have a few favourite moments from the book.  In one of the chapters set in the past the Jewish young lady accidentally has her head scarf fall from her shoulders and the Catholic young man stares politely at the ground while she rearranges her scarf.  That acknowledgment from him of something he understood was important to her, was beautiful, as was the blessing given to the main female character by her grandmother.

I also found moments that were insightful in terms of my own spiritual struggles, particularly a section that explored the way the two faiths address the subject of doubt.  To summarise, this is a book that I will come back to, only this time with journal and pen in hand and I am really hoping for a sequel.  I want to know what comes next for these two.

I received a free Kindle copy of this book for review, but all comments are my genuine review.

Pin It


You can check out the sites I link up to over in my sidebar. Before you go, why not check out my recipes index page, or my craft projects index page, I am sure you will find something there to interest you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...